blog tip

April 9, 2012





<-------- Im sure we all know what that beautiful symbol means, and if you are a frequent blogger, read many blogs, or even associate with blogger you are pretty well aware of what that symbol means. Have you been wondering how to remove that icon and replace it with something of your own? Look up in your address bar right now. See my little fancy smanshy E beside my blog URL?  That wasn't magically placed there! I remember when I created my first favicon and I spent hours trying to figure it out. I hope that this post will help all of you lovelies out who would love to change it (minus the many hours). 


 Adding a custom icon beside your blog is a great way to add a little bit of personalization to your page, and helps you stand out in a list of blogrolls.  Some of you probably already know how to do this, but for those that don't, I'm going to show you how! So listen up.... lets replace that icon with something spiffy new and YOU

First, you'll need a favicon of your own. You can use an existing photo you took, find a pre-existing one online, or draw your own. Photoshop works wonders (which is where I create most of my designs on my blog) however, I have a minor secret for those of you who do not have Photoshop. Download Picasa if you do not already have it (hip hip hooray it is free!) Once you have it downloaded you can "create a collage" drag the picture you are coll-aging into the bottom corner then crop it out so you have a blank white canvas! Once you have your blank white canvas you can add any text you would like. Also if you upload it to picnik you can add hearts and other fun things to it. Just have fun with it. 

Go to Favicon.cc to make the magic happen! Along the side, you will see that you can "Create New Favicon" or "Import Image".  If you want to create a new favicon, this nifty little website lets you draw out your own in pixel form. If you're not that creative, you can upload an existing icon or photo instead. 

If you're using a photo, you'll want it to show a specific object on a plain background. You can't get TOO fancy with our little favicons, because they are only 16x16 pixels in size.  So just keep in mind that whatever you create or upload will be shrunken a ton.  Simple shapes like a heart, or a letter work pretty well.



In the new Blogger layout which is what I use, just click the drop down arrow in the menu beside your blog, then choose Layout. There is a favicon edit link right on the next page! However for those of you who have the old Blogger template format to add this favicon to your Blogger blog, they made it pretty easy for you. In your Blogger, just go to Design then right under the line "Add and Arrange Page Elements" there is an option to change your favicon. Simply upload it and you're done! If it isn't loaded they usually recommend to give it up to a day to load.


 If you have any questions please contact me, and I hope this was helpful for you! 


Happy faviconing! 

11 love notes:

  1. Thank you so much for this tip! I've wanted to know how to make a Favicon forever, and have been too embarrassed to ask and too overwhelmed with work to figure it out on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear elsha rae...i nominated you for something great! check it out on my blog! you are fantastic as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I'll definitely have to try this.
    I'm a little tech challenged :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Def inlove with your blog! x You write really good. I swear.
    Followed

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip! I just changed min Favicon, however it's still showing the old orange image. I'll wait my 24 hours. ;) xoxo A-

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just realized that i could change my favicon, thank goodness i did because it gives my blog much more personality than the standard b for blogger. thanks for sharing this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You Thank You Thank You for posting this!!!!! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

« »

HER AND HIM All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger