the ten ingredients.

September 3, 2012

I have only been a Mrs. for almost four months. I know that isn't very long(it feels like I was married yesterday... where on earth does the time go?) However, I feel as though I have learned soo much! I was super nervous for marriage you can read more about that here. And as it turns out... marriage isn't one bit scary (ok well maybe the laundry piles) but I am truly the happiest I have ever been, on cloud nine, still twitter pated each and everyday, and fall more and more in love as the seconds go by. I also love the fact that Kevin and I are still learning, and we still will until the day we die. Everything in life is a learning process, but what's even greater about it is that I have the best partner in crime to learn with, and that I'm not in it alone! Here are the ten ingredients that Kevin and I have learned thus far... 

1. Never Go To Bed Angry: President Monson says it best. Never let a problem to be solved, become more important than a person to be loved. The hard feelings will fester and resentment will build. No matter how angry we are we make it a priority to settle the disagreement before our tired eyes hit the pillow. If the issue still isnt resolved then heck... fight naked.

2.Pray Together: This is mine and Kevins all time favorite way to end our day. (oh and when he says the prayer in French it makes me so weak at the knees.) But what greater way to end your day than praying for friends, family, loved ones, our marriage, thanks, and everything else. Even though it is only a matter of minutes, it makes the biggest difference! After all... we owe everything we have to the big man upstairs.

3. The Weekly Roundup: Every week... Usually Sunday nights Kevin and I like to do what we call our weekly roundup. We sit down and discuss things that we feel we each need to work on. Haha for example this week I am working on being more tidy and picking up my things, and Kevin is working on reaching out to others. Once we discuss with each other the things to work on, we compliment each other on the many great things we love about them. 

4. Have Charity And Compassion For Each Other: In life, especially when it comes to marriage the natural tendency is to be self focused. To make sure that we are okay, that we are right, that we are happy and many more. However a happy marriage cannot be achieved if the selfish acts are not put aside. As the saying goes... become WE instead of ME. 

5. Boys Will Be Boys & Girls Will Be Girls: Its as simple as that. Boys and girls were born to be different from each other. This concept has been a hard one for me to muster. I have grown up in a house of two girls... yes my dad is such a champ. So living with a dude has been quite different than living with a house of girls. Haha which by all means it definitely has it perks. (I dont have to worry about Kevin borrowing any of my clothes, using my razors, or complain with the obnoxious sappy girl drama) However boys can smell, be dirty, watch loads and loads of ESPN, and much more, which is just the name of the game. Boys will be boys and girls will be girls. 

6. Ok Then Prove It: I am a firm believer in actions speak louder than words. People can harp through their teeth about how much you mean to them but if they don't show it through their actions then how does it suffice? This is probably why I love service oriented people so much, the people that put others before themselves. I know that Kevin loves me, and Kevin knows that I love him. But nothing is more important than us showing our love for each other. Love like crazy. 

7. Have Fun: I may be biased however I think that some people feel as if once they get married then the fun aspect has to go away. (guilty I used to think that long long long ago of marriage folks.) However getting married just means all the while to have that much MORE fun. And yes you can still hang out with your friends once youre married haha. Kevin and love love love our date nights, trust me they are a sweet therapy. J Dawgs runs, traveling, hiking, BBQing, and much more. 

8: Ask Questions: Even though Kevin and I feel like we know each other so well, there is still so much needed to be learned about one another. So often times we find each other asking each other questions. I tend to ask the weird ones quite frequently but heck weird or normal ask away because after all eternity is quite the ride, and quite the long time. 

9: Show Thanks: It's simple. Say thank you. It's quite easy to forget and to get caught up in the everyday tasks and agendas but never forget to say thank you. The simple word can be all the difference. 

10: The Three Word Phrase Can Never Be Said Too Much: You know the phrase Im talking about. You know the three words that marks a huge milestone in any relationship. The key point is to be sincere about it. After a while it can start to sound a bit cliche'. To switch it up a  bit tell the person ten specific things you love about them. I love you can never be overused though, it is a constant reminder of how you feel about the other person. 

For all of you out there not married... get hitched already! I kid you not... marriage is the bees knees! 

17 love notes:

  1. I think your ingredients make for a great marriage and even people who have been married for 20 years can learn from your post. Your a smart lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!

    I am getting married in 9 months, and need to hear things like this!!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congratulations i couldnt be happier for you! that is so exciting! well i said it in the post but ill say it again haha marriage is the absolute best! its hands down the best decision you will ever make!

      Delete
  4. I love all of these! Especially charity and compassion towards each other. Marriage is so wonderful, isn't it!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great!! I love that y'all pray together every night...that is an awesome habit to get into. And your weekly roundup sounds like a great idea. My number one thing would for sure be fun. Having fun together is key!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute Elsha! I absolutely love it!! Marriage is the most glorious thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay this was the cutest post ever.
    I love all of your ingredients- Darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this awesome list!! I am getting married this Friday, and any marriage advice will be very useful! I'm nervous, but really excited to get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend. Congrats again to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looove this! I am getting married in 6 months and CANNOT wait:)

    Thanks for all the excellent advice, love your blog!

    xo
    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elsha!

    Fight Naked....

    Yup! I never thought I'd hear such a word come out of your mouth.

    I almost fell out of my chair at the office.

    Reading your posts is a definite highlight of my day!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi there! newest follower to your sweet blog! you two are the cutest - cannot wait to read more from ya!
    xoxo
    ellen
    thishive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww love this blog, so cute :) :)
    I'm now following you :D Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your recipe to a happy mariage :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such a stunning bride! Beautiful words. :)

    www.somethingdevineblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. President Monson didn't say go to bed angry. Remember that when you get in big fights it's okay to take a breather, sometimes you end up cranky and confused if you stay up all night and you need a break. Also if there arises a problem don't wait for the weekly round ups, remember it's easier to prepare and prevent.

    ReplyDelete

« »

HER AND HIM All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger